Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix Voted Fifth Best Motorsports Race in the World
Great racing from the Prototype and GT categories in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship contributes to the overall enjoyment of the Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix featuring AMERICA’S TIRE 250. (photo: DMT Imaging)
This weekend’s IMSA Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix featuring AMERICA’S Tire 250 at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca was voted by fans and USA Today experts to be the fifth Best Motorsports Race in the World.
This IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship sees grand touring cars and prototypes racing for glory during the penultimate race of the season. A fan favorite of the famed 2.238-mile circuit is the section of Turns 8 and 8A known as The Corkscrew.
The top 10 winners in USA Today’s Best Motorsports Race category are:
- Indianapolis 500 – Indianapolis. Ind.
- Daytona 500 – Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Monaco Grand Prix – Monte Carlo, Monaco
- 24 Hours of Le Mans – Le Mans, France
- Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix – Monterey, Calif.
- United States Grand Prix – Austin, Texas
- 24 Hours Nürburgring – Nürburg, Germany
- Canadian Grand Prix – Montreal, Canada
- Bathurst 12 Hour – Bathurst, Australia
- Italian Grand Prix – Monza, Italy
A panel of experts partnered with 10 Best editors who picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.
The County of Monterey-owned WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca facility has long been a motorsports icon that has hosted hundreds of major events since its inception in 1957.
The IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship will have the featured race on Sunday, September 9 with the 2 hour, 40 minute AMERICA’S TIRE 250. On Saturday, the WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca 120 will be the featured event with the cars of the Continental Tire WeatherTech SportsCar Challenge taking the spotlight. Further action will be contested with support series Lamborghini Super Trofeo North America and Pirelli Trophy West U.S.A.