County of Monterey Continues Enhancement Program at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca
The County of Monterey-owned WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, which is the heartbeat of the 542-acre Laguna Seca Recreation Area, is undergoing another phase of its revitalization program. The legendary facility that was built in 1957 has been the scene of many memorable moments such as Alex Zanardi’s “The Pass” in IndyCar, the retirement of Mario Andretti, Nicky Hayden’s epic MotoGP win, a Grateful Dead concert and a special mass in 1987 conducted by Pope John Paul II.
With an exciting 2019 racing season underway, there are a number of projects underway designed to enhance the guest experience. These are steps toward the major construction projects being studied on the master facility plan.
Projects that are currently underway are:
• Installing a large temporary two-story hospitality structure in the paddock overlooking Turn 3
• Paving over the dip at the top of the main entrance road for a smooth entry and exit
• Widening and paving the Marketplace to enhance vendor experiences
• Relocating the television broadcast compound
• Removing the octagon tower overlooking the Start/Finish line
• Removing the former Parks Department office overlooking Turn 2
• Enhancing corner marshal stands to provide better flag marshal safety and visibility for drivers
• Completion of Lakebed paving in Marketplace
• Completion of the track safety fencing project
The extensive drainage project that was completed at the end of 2018 proved beneficial and easily accommodated the near-record rainfall. County of Monterey planners are monitoring each area of the facility and working with WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca staff on ways to further enhance the facility for the hundreds of thousands of visitors who enjoy attending the premier race events, near daily track rentals, events, camping, hiking, hospitality or car shows.
The 2019 premier event season continues with the Trans Am SpeedFest (May 3-5); Ferrari Racing Days & Corse Clienti Formula One (May 10-12); MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship GEICO Motorcycle U.S. Round with MotoAmerica (July 12-14); Monterey Pre-Reunion Races (August 10-11); Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion, featuring the 50th anniversary of IMSA (August 15-18); IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship (September 13-15); and the season finale of IndyCar for the Firestone Grand Prix of Monterey (September 20-22).
For VIP hospitality packages, money-saving Season Pass, preferred parking, daily tickets and information, please click here or call the ticketing specialists at 831-242-8200.