Unforgettable Moments Mark Third Day of Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion
Nissan and Datsun history is being celebrated with Nissan honored as the featured marque of the Roelx Monterey Motorsports Reunion.
The third day of the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion produced the largest turnout thus far at the four-day event at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. Fans swarmed to see the action on-track during the first of two days of winners being decided as well as the unforgettable moments on the Paddock Stage presented by Audi.
Below is a rundown of the facts and events that have made the 45th incarnation of the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion so memorable with one day remaining.
• 551 historic cars with race provenance selected out of over 1,000 applicants participated in the event.
• Nissan is honored as the featured marque with Nissan and Datsun racing history being celebrated. Luminaries at the event include John Morton, Peter Brock, and Steve Millen. It is the first time an Asian automotive manufacturer has been the featured marque at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion which began in 1974.
• The Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car is on display for the first time in North America only at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion.
• The 15 race groups consist of cars ranging in age from a 1911 National Speedway Roadster in Group 1A to a 1995 Nissan 240SX in Group 7B.
• The all-electric Jaguar I-PACE that set the “Showroom Stock” lap record at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca at 1:48.18 with Randy Probst driving in the days leading up to the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion is on display in the pit garages.
• Two-time Formula One champion Mika Häkkinen performed exhibition laps for the second straight year on Friday and Saturday, this time behind the wheel of a 1994 McLaren F1 GTP.
• Late American racing legend Dan Gurney was honored in a touching tribute in the latter half of the Picnic in the Paddock event on Saturday which was hosted by Murray Smith and featured stories from Sir Jackie Stewart and Chris Cord and a musical tribute by Donald Osborne.
• Audi used the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion as a platform to make the world premiere of the 2019 Audi PB 18 e-tron concept car on the Paddock Stage presented by Audi on Thursday, August 23.
• The Formula 5000 race group is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the series. The racing and revelry drew participants from around the world including 14 from New Zealand alone.
• Ford unveiled the 2019 Ford GT Heritage Edition on the Paddock Stage on Friday, August 24. Derek Bell drove the car up to the stage.
• The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) announced their 50th anniversary book on the Paddock Stage on Saturday, August 25. IMSA is going to be the featured marque at next year’s Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion on August 15-18, 2019.
• Book signings took place at the Official Raceway Store with David Hobbs and Lynn St. James.
• Comedian Adam Carolla hosted a live CarCast podcast in the Nissan display on Saturday, August 25, to benefit the SeriousFun Newman’s Network started by late actor/racer Paul Newman.
There is plenty more in store on Sunday during the final opportunity to see racing history come to life on the track this year with the “B” run groupings competing in their races and awards being presented at the end of the day on the Paddock Stage presented by Audi. Tickets are available at the gate for $90. Children 15 and under are admitted free.